Monday, January 7, 2019

Review: It's Kind of a Funny Story

It's Kind of a Funny Story It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

(3.5/5) I really liked this book! Very funny, witty, thoughtful. It had a similar feeling to The Fault in our Stars by John Green.

I forgot that I actually watched the movie 9 years ago. But although the movie was decent it did not do the book justice. There's so much of the book that is in the main character Craig's head, that it's impossible to relay that through a movie.

Within the first couple chapters I had already lol’d several times, I love the way the main character thinks, so contemplative and curious and blunt.

He just wants to love a life of no decisions and just go with the flow and play video games 24/7 as an escape from himself because he's constantly feeling pressured. He studied super hard and sacrificed a lot to get into a high school for gifted kids and his friend told him that he didn’t even study and he got in too this was the first strike to Craig to start thinking he wasn’t smart enough not good enough then he got into weed and alcohol, then Nia got with Aaron instead of Craig and that’s when Craig really lost it and started seeing decisions as “tentacles” and started getting depressed and admitted to having daily thoughts of suicide then admitted that even as a kid growing up he had suicidal thoughts.
Cycling: (paraphrased) "young but screwing up my life, smart but not enough.. every time I spend money I feel like I’m getting raped, I don’t like to smoke pot but when I do smoke it I get depressed, I haven’t done enough with my life, no sports, not involved in any social causes, my one friend is a screw up who’s with the most beautiful girl in the world and he doesn’t even know it, I’m just a nobody"

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Reminders of Him

Reminders of Him by Colleen Hoover My rating: 5 of 5 stars View all my reviews